Thursday, July 15, 2010

Galilee!!!! Day One

So... overall Galilee was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I want to live there. I could be SO happy there. The water is amazing, the landscape is amazing, everything around that area is incredible. It was such a wonderful experience. I'm so glad that we went. All of us were like, I don't want to leave Galilee! :((( But we're back in Jerusalem.

So what have I done for the past 11 days. well, here's a breakdown:

Day One: Caesarea, Nazareth(Church of the Well, Church of the Annunciation, Church of Joseph, Church of the Synagogue) and Mt. Arbel

We went to Caesarea and that was really fun. It started out with a typical Israeli propaganda historical movie. The national parks people have... interesting videos. So it was built by Herod the Great. The amphitheater was where the Romans celebrated the destruction of Jerusalem and set animals against Jews. We also saw the remains of the palace where Peter likely had his trial there. It was interesting to be there.

(This pretty much sums up Jillian and my relationship)

After that we stopped by the aqueduct. It was neat.


After that we headed over to Nazareth. First we went to the Church of the Well. It was a spring that has been around since Christ's time and was probably where she would get water each day. As a result, the water around it has become associated with fertility. It was funny, Brother Manscill told us to each take a sip and while we were getting our cups filled with them, he was like, you'll be the most fertile class at BYU! *pause* I hope that none of you find that out soon though...
It was hilarious. The church was pretty though, albeit small.


Next we went to the church of the Annunciation. It was funny because I kept saying Anuncion instead of Annunciation. I couldn't remember the English word... It was gorgeous, and MASSIVE. It's apparently the largest church in Israel. It was neat to go there though.


Next we went to the church of Joseph. It was a cute little church. We sang a few hymns in there. It was neat to see the grottos in the bottom of the building that had been there for a long time.


After that we went to the Church of the Synagogue. That was another cute little church. I got to sing in a quartet there. :)


After that we drove over to Mt. Arbel. It overlooks Galilee. It was my first view of the Galilee. It was GORGEOUS.


And then my first view of the Galilee at sunset. :))) Basically it's amazing.


Oh, and I found kittens outside my bungalow! :)))

1 comment: